7 May 2006

"Pack a coat! A good waterproof one!!"...

that's the first thing Mum said when I told her we were off to Ireland. Okay, maybe not the first thing but it was pretty near the top of the list... in the top 3 at least.

So when we woke up in Dublin the morning after flying in and Terry looked out the window wondering "What's that blue stuff up there then?" I have to say I wasn't overly surprised by that comment, after all I had been warned by many people about the weather. We started our road trip back up to Belfast and Terry said to me "It'll not last you know. By the time we get to Norn Iron it'll be back to grey and thunder." I wiggled my fingers at the heavens .... dooo-doooo-do-dooo...



When we hit Belfast the skies were still clear....

"Yer woman there, Tommy, I think she's a witch. Look what she did to the weather"

I think Terry was quite relieved when it clouded over and drizzled later in the evening. Tommy too because he'd been warning me about the weather... along with EVERYONE else!!

So what I want to know is... what is all this about then?


I'm beginning to wonder if it's all a cunning plan to keep people away from such a gorgeous place! I've seen rain one day since we've arrived, the rest of the time it has been amazing. Despite assurances that the weather is normally never ever like this I have to wonder... Terry seemed awfully prepared when we decided to go on a road trip up the coast today!

I'm not going to rattle off great detail of all the places we went, basically we aimed for a place called Torr Head and stopped off to stretch our legs and look about other places on the way. It was a very lovely day so we had some fabulous sceney on the way...

Magic!!

We arrived at Torr Head and the sky was beautiful and clear... we could see Scotland off in the distance.

Just absolutely stunning views.

We climbed up the to the old coastguard station that you can see on the hill there.... it was disused and in ruins but it seemed like the perfect spot for a barbeque... and Terry had come prepared!! He cracked open his disposable barbie and set to cooking us up and entree of bacon before spoiling us rotten with the main course of Northern Ireland Sirloin!! You couldn't ask for better!

After all that decadence Terry was starting to feel a bit under the weather. It was getting on in the day, heading towards 6pm, and the other places we had thought about visiting were closing for the day so we decided it was best to aim for home. We'll be back up that way for more though... stay tuned!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recognise that hole in the rock even though when we went through it was thick with drizzle and really crappy on the way to Ballycastle. Perhaps spring is the best time of year to visit. Will have to remember for next time. And you will definitely have to go back up that way cos the Giants landing strip is only an hour further on. Glad you are enjoying yourselves and I think if you stick Terry in a leprechaun's suit he may grant you a couple of pots o' gold, hehe.

Anonymous said...

condolences to Tom and the family but must say impeccable timing for tom. wouldn't want to have been late. . . .

beuatiful scenery but is it me or it an irish thing to piss off the authorities? cameras and all . . . .

:-P

enjoy,
Rob, Stace, Tialia and Little Toot No. 2

ps. little toot shirts have gone down a treat with littly