21 June 2006

Walk like an egyptian...



or Turk... or Armenian... or...whatever takes your fancy.... as long as you're shimmying!!

I went to my first bellydance party on Saturday and had an absolute ball! If I wasn't hooked on the belly dance before I definately am now!! What a night!!

I really had no idea what to expect when I got there and I nearly chickened out even though I had been frantically trying to get a costume made.... not to mention the weather... it was cold and I really wasn't too sure about waggling my belly about in those temperatures.

Tom (bravely?) said he would come along as my support crew... I didn't know what to expect for him either... would it be too girly... would he feel comfortable.... would there be other non-dancers there too?

I needn't have worried because as I've already mentioned we had a great time. It was in the format of a casual show. Different classes and got up and danced in groups as well as duets and solo performances. Then we'd have a general dance about and check out the trading tables ... a whole different market experience.... "I'll give 4 goats for that dancer!!" ... nah, just kidding it was all CDs, DVDs, costumes etc. Then rinse spin repeat a few times.

There were some amazing dancers there, all shapes and sizes and there was even one fella dancer. Ooooh and the costumes!! Wow... some great ideas and inspiration!! My costume will be getting some wholesale modifications before the next bash!

By the end of the night I was just buzzing. My teacher also belongs to a drumming group so those that were there started playing. It took about 30 seconds for everyone to get on the dance floor and away we went. Not all up and down simultaneously to the beat as with most dances but a swirl of different things happening all around you... the drums were infectious but eventually we all had to concede defeat and take a break.... there is only so much you can take before your abs are screaming for a rest.... damn you muscles!!

Mental note: must practice more to build belly stamina :)

And as for Tommy.... well he got beyond the whole "I shouldn't look, they'll think I'm a perv" and through to the "Hell they're bellydancers, they dress like this only purpose... I'm meant to look at the bods" stage he relaxed and I think he really enjoyed himself... Considering he was there and not watching the Irish vs All Blacks game has got to say something! In fact.... he said next time he'll dress up too ... as a sheik or sultan, and we'll take more friends next time and fill a whole table.... cushions and rugs and hookah pipes galore!!

Bring it on!!

No comments: